Friday, February 21, 2014

About Me

I've been overweight since pre-adolescence. It was a problem for me in school, but nothing like it is today. In my late teens, my weight started to creep up from about 180 pounds, and my twenties were mostly spent getting up to close to 300 pounds. I hit my highest weight at 33, an embarassing 312 pounds. During that time, I also got married, had four kids, and lived a mostly normal life. But there were many things wrong, most of which I was unable to see.

In August of 2011, I became aware of my husband's addiction. I'm not going to go into specifics because his story is his, and the specifics are irrelevant here. The important part is that the shock and trauma I experienced were enough to set me on a path of self-discovery. I came to realize many things about my childhood, things that I thought were normal, but aren't. I spent a lot of time in therapy and support groups, learning why I do things the way I do, why I think the things I think, and why I choose the people I choose. I've made many drastic changes in the way I function in all my relationships and how I respond to life. It's been an incredible journey, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to do this work, difficult as it is.

Despite all the progress I've made in becoming a (mentally) healthier, happier person, in spite of the peace and serenity I've found, the thing that hasn't changed is my eating behaviors. I've come to a place where I finally feel safe and stable enough to tackle this issue though. It's not easy - eating and my weight have served many different purposes in my life, and it's hard to let go of those. However, I do feel like I've truly outgrown those maladaptive behaviors, and that now I can move on to become a (physically) healthier me.

No comments:

Post a Comment